Sunday, October 11, 2026

Best Novels by Mario Vargas Llosa



I will write a "Best of ... " for each author of which I read all his or her books. This is my ranking for Mario Vargas Llosa's novels. A personal and subjective list. I started with blog only in 2007, so not all his books are reviewed here. But I'm sure you can find information on each title elsewhere. 

  1. The War of the End of the World, 1985 - *****
  2. Conversation in The Cathedral, 1975 - *****
  3. The Time of the Hero, 1966 - ****
  4. Captain Pantoja and the Special Service, 1978 - ****
  5. Death In The Andes, 1996 - ****
  6. Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter, 1982  - ****
  7. The Real Life of Alejandro Mayta, 1986 - ****
  8. Who Killed Palomino Molero?, 1987 - ****
  9. The Bad Girl, 2007 - ****
  10. The Notebooks of Don Rigoberto, 1998 - ****
  11. The Storyteller, 1989 ***½
  12. The Discreet Hero, 2015 - ***½
  13. The Cubs And Other Stories (Faber & Faber, 1975) - ***½
  14. Harsh Times, 2021 - ***½
  15. The Green House, 1968 - ***
  16. In Praise of the Stepmother, 1990 - ***
  17. The Way to Paradise, 2003 - ***
  18. The Dream of the Celt, 2012 - ***
  19. The Neighborhood, 2018 - **
  20. I Give You My Silence, 2026

No comments: