Friday, August 5, 2022

Carson McCullers - The Member Of The Wedding (Penguin, 1947) *


Many years ago I read and liked "The Ballad Of A Sad Café" by Carson McCullers. I liked her voice of the narrative, its southern US climate and the sympathy for the characters. This novel I did not manage to finish. It was too friendly, too sweet, too much lacking in suspense. Maybe because I am not a little girl and maybe because I do not have an older brother who will get married, it was difficult for me to relate to the story, but I assume that a good author would manage to write something appealing to audience wider than the main character's situation. 

Why would I continue reading if it does not resonate with me at all? I have dozens of other books waiting to be read. Onward and forward. 

No comments: