- "Landsman wakes from a dream of feeding his right ear to the propellor blades of a Cessna 206".
- "An invisible gas clouds his thoughts, exhaust from a bus left parked with its engine running in the middle of his brain".
- "Surrender unfolds across Landsman's heart like the shadow of a flag".
- "Hertz is crowding Landsman, exhaling his breath of plum brandy, the undertone of herring so oily and sharp you can feel the little bones in it".
- "She looks like hell, only hotter".
- "'Uh-huh', Spade says amiably, a little distracted, maybe, like someone pretending to take an interest in the minutiae of your life while surfing some inner Internet of his mind".
- "The weariness of her voice seems to flow into her shoulders, her jaw, the lines of her face".
- "The tea bags surrender their color unwillingly to the tepid water".
- "He used to keep a museum, maybe it's still there, up at the tired end of Ibn Ezra street".
Om duimen en vingers van af te likken.