Monday, July 10, 2023

Tim Winton - The Shepherd's Hut (Picador, 2018) ****

 

I think this is the sixth novel I read by Tim Winton and it's an easy one to recommend. 

It's the story of an adolescent who runs away from home after both his parents died, to find refuge in the outback, and encountering a kind of elderly hermit living in a shack in the middle of nowhere. Both men have nowhere to go, and secrets they do not wish to share. 

The novel brings to live the hesitant exploration of human nature through two individuals who met by chance. As usual, Winton's style and tone are amazing: told in the language of the boy, direct, like a long internal monologue, describing with feeling and anger every single thing he does or sees or is the victim of. This lyrical power is sustained throughout the novel, and drives the limited action. Nothing much happens and yet it is a page-turner. 

"Mum said school mighta been different for me if I only give a damn. Maybe it was wasted on me like the teachers said. I didn't have any philosophy in me then, so I didn't know what to listen for .. Most of it was pointless crap. Don't reckon I met a single wise person all the years I stayed but like I say, I wasn't paying close attention. And the thing is I miss it a bit. That's something I never thought I'd hear myself say. I didn't know what I was, what I could do. Except the lame things I did do. But shit was always being done to me, every single day, and sooner or later you figure you should be the one doing unto others. So by Year Four kids were scared of me. And I spose I liked that. By the time I got to Dally District High they thought I was a psycho. Which suited me fine." 

Winton's main characters are usually young people with limited power and in vulnerable situations, struggling to find their place in their community and the world.  The world is a harsh and cruel place, but with space for feelings, and deep spiritual questions too. 

Recommended!


No comments: